If there is a strange animal wandering around your home, or you can’t find your pet, the first thing you should do is call your local Animal Control Officer. Stray animals brought to the shelter should always be brought in by an Animal Control Officer. It’s what they are contracted and paid by the towns to do! So if you find an animal, instead of bringing it to us yourself, give your local ACO a call first. We do our best to keep the below list up-to-date, but feel free to use this link to get the most updated information for your town: State of Maine ACO List.